Tomato Vegetable Sauce for Gnocchi
2 28oz cans whole tomatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
4 carrots (chopped)
1 medium onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
2 teaspoons sugar
1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil for about a minute at medium heat. Toss in the carrots, onions and saute for a few minutes. Stir in garlic and heat 1 minute more.
2. Add tomatoes to the vegetable mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 35-45 minutes. Tomatoes should break down while simmering, or you can use a wooden spoon to break them up.
3. Remove the sauce from the heat, let cool for a few minutes. In small batches, puree the sauce in a food processer till smooth (or puree sauce directly in the sauce pan with an immersion blender).
4. Add sugar and salt to taste. Serve with cooked gnocchi.
Gnocchi with Mushroom Cream Sauce
16 Pasta Gourmet New York Gnocchi (frozen)
1/2 white onion (chopped)
2 cups mushrooms (thinly sliced)
1/3 cup white wine
1.5 cup light or heavy cream
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
Fresh parsley for garnish
Salt and pepper
1. Heat a skilled over medium heat, add olive oil. Toss in the onions, sprinkle with the salt and pepper and saute until soft, about 6-7 minutes.
2. While the onion is cooking, prepare the Gnocchi per package instructions. Drain and set aside.
3. Add minced garlic and mushrooms to the pan with the onions. Saute until the mushrooms are cooked through.
4. Add the wine to the skillet and reduce for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cream and heat for another 1 minute. Turn off heat and stir in 1/4 cup parmesan. Add the gnocchi to the skilled and toss till coated. Plate gnocchi and sprinkle on the chopped parsley and parmesan.
Gnocchi with Pesto
16 oz Pasta Gourmet New York Gnocchi (frozen)
4 cups baby arugula
4 cups fresh basil
1 cup olive oil
1 cup pine nuts (toasted)
1/2 cup parmesan (grated)
1-2 garlic cloves (chopped)
Salt and pepper
1. To make pesto: In a food processor add arugula, basil, pine nuts, parmesan, and garlic. While the motor is running, slowly add the olive oil until well emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Cook gnocchi per package instructions. Drain, reserving about 1/4 cup of pasta water.
3. Stir in tortellini, simmer for a few minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes and simmer another 3-5 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, add the pesto and combine the pasta water for a saucy consistnency. Add the gnocchi and toss coat. Plate gnocchi and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan.